Like Lennon & McCartney, Simon & Garfunkel, Jagger & Richards, and Hall & Oates before them, Plasti Dip and rock n’ roll music come together perfectly. What’s that? You don’t quite follow my logic on that one? Well, carry on my wayward son.*
We recently received the photos below from Steve, an avid Plasti Dip fan and garage rock aficionado. After looking at them, we needed a ticket for an aeroplane, had no time to take a fast train, because Steve, he wrote us a letter.**
“My wife’s out garage sale-ing and she calls and says there’s this Marshall thing at a sale for $20.00 and wants to know if she should buy it. I let her know if it says Marshall on it, the answer is always ‘Yes.’ She comes home and it’s a 4×12 Marshall cabinet—it’s seriously beat up and dirty, but I connect it to my amp and it sounds amazing!
“Don’t know how to upholster, so I cut the fabric off the bottom of the cabinet, and glue and patch the holes and clean up all the torn and scraped up areas. Then I sprayed the whole cabinet with a few coats of Plasti Dip. How sweet is this?!”
Of course, speaker cabinet repairs aren’t the only rock n’ roll application for Plasti Dip. Consider:
- Give your guitar, bass, or drums a new, but easily removable, look
- Coat the base of microphone stands to prevent scuffing on hard floors
- Repair damaged rubber feet on drum and cymbal stands
- Create removable bass drum head designs
- Use any of the many colors of Plasti Dip (or the Create Your Color Kit) to color-code amp cables so you can see at a glance which plugs go where
- Use a light coat to repair ripped speaker cones
- Though it’s not Plasti Dip, Performix Brand Liquid Tape can be used to repair damaged power or amp cables with exposed wiring
One final idea for true rock n’ roll diehards: 1) Get the whole band together and coat all your gear with Plasti Dip and Gold Metalizer. 2) Learn “Stairway to Heaven.” 3) Really put some juice into the “all that glitters is gold” line. 4) Clear a space on the mantle for some Grammys.
Rock music is known for its often-DIY style; Plasti Dip is the world’s greatest DIY tool. No doubt some of the more musically-inclined Plasti Dip fans out there have put the two together and have a cool project or two to share. Let us now via Twitter and Facebook—maybe I’m amazed by how crafty Dip Heads can be, but more likely you guys are just that dang good.
Until next time, keep on Dippin’ in the free world!
* Carry on with the reading, that is.
** Actually an email.